Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day Twelve: Last Practice at Mall

Today was our last day of placement training to get ready for our public access test on Monday.  Although it is exciting to think of how far we've come, it's hard to believe that Barb won't be with us when we go out anymore...I will have to do it all on my own, though  I am feeling more confident working with Ro. Barb had prepared a practice session for us with a list of things to do on our own around the mall.  There were things like having Ro in a 'down' while I look at clothing and I needed to make sure she stayed calm and waited for me to continue on.  Another thing we have been working on is having Ro stay calm when people come and talk to me or ask to pet her.  This is definitely becoming easier as we practice...but even when I tell people that she's not to be pet I'll glance over and they are trying to pet her!  I'm glad that Ro loves people, but I know that I have to keep an eye on that so that while we are out I can still get things done without having to stop a million times because people are wanting to pet her!  Anyways, I think we did well on our practice session.  Ro was really well behaved, in fact-while we were at a shoe store I had her under a table while I browsed for awhile and then I called her to me and she came right away and a lady said "There's been a dog in here?!  She's so quiet!"  Exactly what I was looking for, people shouldn't really notice she's around if her and I are doing what we need to be doing.  We also practiced some pivots and making sure Ro and I are able to turn and stay in position.
This evening has been very quiet as I am not feeling too well.  I woke up this morning with a bit of a sore throat and my sinus' hurting.  It was doing better around lunch time, but when we got home I started feeling worse again.  So we took a short nap and have been watching more TV.  Zane and the kids will be home late tonight so it should be fun seeing how our new family dynamic will play out!

No comments:

Post a Comment