Monday, July 11, 2011

Day Seven: Field Trip!

We had a lot of fun today, but things didn't start out so well.  First thing this morning I got up to take Ro out and everything went fine.  Then we came in, and I went to use the restroom and ended up falling and hitting my arm really hard on my shower chair.  I tried to catch myself, but ended up falling in an even more awkward way with my arm catching most of my weight. ( Let me just say, it REALLY hurt!)  So I was sitting on the floor crying, and little Ro comes in trying to figure out why I was upset.  I wasn't really sure what to do, so I said "Ro, Phone!" hoping that she might figure out what I was trying to have her do.  Barb had only shown her in a mini session here where our phone was.  First she brought back a pad from the floor right next to where the phone was-so I knew she was on the right track.  "Good girl.  Phone, Get it!"  and what do you know?  She brought me the phone!  She is such a quick study.  So I was able to call Barb and let her know that we were having some issues because I had fallen and that it would be awhile before I was ready (I was still in my pjs!)  She came over and helped get my chair and then I was able to finish getting ready.  My arm has a bruise on it, but things could have been much worse I'm sure.
After I got dressed I finished up our morning routine with her grooming and then we introduced Ro to our dremel so that I could trim up her nails.  She did such a great job of relaxing and letting me do them, especially since I know it isn't one of her favorite things.  Barb also showed me how to clean her ears. Then we took her out for a poop and to play some retrieve.  She also closes the front door so well now, both when leaving and when we come in.
When we were done, we came in and practiced some of the things she is being trained to help me with like stretching my legs (she will lay across them to hold them in place during my leg spasms) and then being able to bring my wheelchair back to me.  She has been doing a fabulous job!  Barb has also been working with me to be able to train Ro in new skills by myself, so I have been teaching her 'Visit'.  For our first day, I'd say she is doing amazing!!  So proud of her! :)
Next, we left for lunch.  We went to Panera Bread (one of my favorites) and she did focused really well even when people were like "Aw, look at the cute puppy!"  She even grabbed the Panera card from the man behind the counter and gave it to me.  She sat very quietly under the table and we practiced the 'leave' skill which means she doesn't eat food that falls on the floor, stop to sniff anything while we are walking or try to be pet from anyone.
After that we came back to our house and walked over to Kohls and King Soopers.  Each store we practiced working on skills like leave, down, sit, etc.  And during our walks I was trying to make sure that she was right next to my chair where she needed to be.  She is doing a great job of looking over to check her positioning while walking and I'm finding the need for my corrections to be less and less.  The last thing we did was walk over to Post Net to fax in a few documents to finalize her pet license.

For our first day out it was pretty successful!  Ro has already crashed on the floor and I have to admit I'm pretty tired too!  Just typing this out made me realize how much we actually did!

No comments:

Post a Comment