Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Day Eight: Light Rail and Mall!

So our day started with our morning routine (it turned out wonderful so no details needed!).  Then we met Barb at the teacher store (one of my favorite places!).  Then we went across the street to Park Meadows to ride the light rail.  I hadn't ever been on the light rail, so I was kinda nervous!  Barb was really good about explaining what would happen and we were able to get on without problems!  I didn't get Ro in quite the right spot in the beginning, so after the first stop we repositioned and then things went fine.  We rode for about three stops, got off and then hopped back on and went to the mall.  We had lunch in the food court and practiced having Ro give the cashier my wallet and get it back for me.  Then we sat and talked (as you know I love to chat!) Ro did a wonderful job of not going for food when it was dropped on the floor and I even got the chance to teach a little 4 year old about service dogs!  Usually I can tell a childs age pretty close-but I thought she was in like Kindergarten or even First grade-she was very tall!
After lunch, we walked around the mall and practiced some retrieves and then having people ask to pet Ro.  I have to practice making sure that she stays in a sit when we are talking and that she doesn't try to sniff or push into them for our public access test.  So far, we are doing pretty well!  She pressed lots of elevator buttons and had a really long day, so on the way back to the house she slept in the car for the majority of the trip.  It's like looking at your adorable kids in the backseat! :)
Once we got home, we were going to practice some more of the specific skills she is learning to help me with.  Ro was still pretty tired though and fell asleep on the floor!  Instead of waking her, we talked for awhile and a little while later Ro popped up ready for some fun!  We worked on getting the phone and her helping me stretch.  We still need to work on our leg cues, but I beginning to feel much more confident when working with her.  We are more responsive to each other and our positioning with each other is becoming much more easy as we walk around (well roll around!).
I am really enjoying working with Barb and Ro and I am learning a lot.  I do miss my family a lot :(  It's hard hearing the kids on the phone asking when I'm coming to see them and explaining that I'm not, but they will be home in a few days.  I do know that it is worth it though.  Me and Ro need to bond a lot so that when they all come back she will be able to continue focusing on me and not be distracted by the kids.  Anyhow, to end this post I am going to put up some of the pics I've made Ro pose for! :)  Enjoy!
 Ro after our walk this evening!

 Ro in her new bed!  (notice Alexis' lovely drawing on the bed, you have to click to zoom in on it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment