Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day One

Today we signed all the adoption paperwork and began our placement training!  We did a lot of talking today about the public etiquette that Ro and I will have to follow.  (Making sure she is clean, not aggressive or disruptive, and does not solicit attention are some of the standards).  I think that these will be super important and anyone thinking of having a service dog should make sure they take them into consideration when applying.
We also practiced some of the cues that I will be using with Ro to navigate around.  We practiced sit, side, heel, let's go, wait, here and having her look at me when I call her name.  (There might be more...but I can't think of them right now!)
We also got some more things to take care of her among them were: food, tooth brush, leashes to try out, tags, and of course toys! :)  She loves to play and I am really looking forward to taking her on walks as well!  So far I've had a great experience and I am really glad that I went with CaPR for getting a service dog.  I agree with the way they train their dogs (positive association) and so far they have been incredibly helpful with any questions that I have.  I really like that I have Barb to help us learn how to work together.  I am also really excited for our 'umbilical cord bonding' time when Ro and I get to hang out together alone for a few days.  This will also be difficult because it is the first time I will be away from my children overnight...but I think that having Ro there will really help so that I'm not lonely! 

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! Wishing you and Ro all the best during your training. :)

    ReplyDelete