Friday, July 15, 2011

Day Eleven: Practical Skills, Mall and Grocery Store

Today we practiced a lot of practical skills that we have been learning the past few weeks. Barb watched while I worked with Ro so she could give me feedback on how I'm using the cues.  I really want to make sure I'm using them correctly so that I don't confuse her.  Sometimes I still use 'up' when I really mean 'stand'-so I have been trying to be conscientious about what I say to her.  Also...I tend to repeat myself instead of giving her process time.  So if I want her to sit I say: "Ro, sit...sit...sit.  Good girl!"  Whoops!  It's getting better though and I am finding myself doing that less and less!  Hopefully I can be more mindful and use the leash less as well!  It's hard changing your mindset, but I think we are doing pretty well overall.  
After practicing our skills at home we headed to the mall.  Me and Ro are doing well at 'reading each other' and I am finding that she is walking where she needs to be with me correcting her less and less.  When I was in line to get food a lady asked me if Ro has to work 24/7.  I didn't realize that people thought that!  So, I'll let you judge for yourselves...does this look like an over-worked dog?!
I think she looks like she's smiling!!  Barb and I were laughing so hard when we saw her doing this, I was very glad to snap a photo!! :)

After lunch we walked around the mall and practiced more of the skills we will be doing for our public access test on Monday.  I think for having worked together for only 11 days we are doing well!  Hopefully we can keep it up and do well enough that I will be able to take her out on my own soon!  While Ro and I were browsing one of the staff in the department store came up and asked if I needed any help or had any questions.  She also commented on how cute my dog was.  The reason I bring this up is because many times I'll go into a store and be ignored (or stared at while trying to do something difficult) and I found it refreshing that I was being helped instead!  Once we were done with the mall Barb said she'd meet up back at the car so that I could practice getting Ro out by myself...well...I have a terrible sense of direction (thanks Mom-love ya though!) and it took us a long time!! I kept going out all of the exits from JCPenny's because I knew we parked by it, but couldn't find the car!  Ro just looked at me like "Why are we going in and out so much?!"  But eventually we found it and headed to the grocery store.  I needed to pick up a few things so that I could eat tonight!  Once we got home Ro took a long nap-I think she was tired from looking for the car so long!! Hahaha!! 
After her nap I took her out for a run along the canal that runs by our house.  There is a lot of green grass and an extra wide sidewalk.  It was really nice and she did an excellent job of keeping pace with me-even down the hills! :)  Our day was fun, but we are both super tired-so we decided to watch some TV on the couch so we can rest up for another fun day tomorrow.

 

1 comment: