Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Day Nine: Bowling and Vet Introduction!

This morning Ro and I started out very slow...we woke up, went out to go potty, then came in and fell asleep again!  We were both so tired from yesterday that a few extra hours seemed like a good idea. That has been one plus about not having the family here-flexible schedule. We got back up and did our morning routine to get ready for the day (grooming, brushing teeth, getting dressed, etc.) and then played some games.  Last night we started playing 'Get Brobee' (one of her toys that looks like the character from Yo Gabba Gabba) and let me tell you, it was SO FUN!  So I thought we'd play again.  I would have her sit or down and then I would go hide her toy around the house and come back and say 'Ro, Where's Brobee?  Get Brobee!' and she'd run around the house and find him and bring him back.  She is so smart!  Sometimes I'd think to myself that she'd never find it but she'd bring it right back-we had a great time!  I would even put some of her other toys out thinking I'd trick her-but she always brought back Brobee! Barb told me that her puppy raisers would play games like that with her when she was a puppy, probably why she is so good at it and retrieving specific objects (like the phone!). 
Then we relaxed for a bit before Barb came over.  Once Barb got here we got everything ready to go bowling.  We had a lot of fun!  I really enjoy talking and learning with Barb, she gets my strange sense of humor! :)  Ro was very stressed when we first arrived and I found it difficult to keep her calm.  I find that I get very focused on looking at her and don't notice when people move and try to start petting her.  It was good to have Barb there to have people stop so that I could try to calm her.  She was good about jumping in and saying "Oh, you can't pet her she's working-you need to let Shannon calm her".  I did find it funny that people think they can calm her better than me (or Barb) as she is far more used to us. It really makes it difficult to get her back to focusing when people start to reach for her because she loves to be friendly.  Today it really hit home that I need to be more forceful when asking people to let her do her job.  We had been out, but never really to a place that stressed her.  I was able to eventually get her focused and calmed again and I think it was really good practice. We have been doing things that were new for me, and today I got to see how Ro would react to a new place in public.  I think it will be easier next time (plus I won't have a heavy bowling ball on my lap!!).  Once Ro had settled, I put her under the benches and she watched while me and Barb had a blast bowling!  It had been quite awhile since I had been, but I have been wanting to go for a long time.  Barb said it had been awhile for her too, but she did fabulous!  My first bowl was a strike!! WOW!! But...that was a fluke!  I would say that we did spectacular for how long it had been, Barb broke 100 in two of our games, and I came very close.  When we first started I had to put Ro back under the bench a few times, but as our games progressed I found that I had to put her under less and less.  Here is a photo of her under the bench, what a sweetie!




Once bowling was done, we came back to the house so I could grab a quick bite to eat and get ready for our vet visit.  Ro dressed up in her boots and we walked up to the vets.  They are getting a new building that is literally right next to our apartments that will be done early next year.  I really wanted this visit to be relaxing for her and for her to really get to know (and like) Dr. Demey.  I hadn't been in for a few months and didn't recognize any of the nurses there.  They were all very good about respecting the fact that Ro is not to be pet.  I was glad that I didn't have to explain or stop them because I am still finding that difficult!  Dr. Demey was very respectful and asked what I would like and was great about everything.  I did want him to pet her and make her excited about seeing him.  He said she was very healthy! :)  I think CaPR does a great job of making sure their dogs are in great working condition before placing them.  I have also learned a lot about how to take care of her.  It's hard to believe that until a week ago I had never had a dog or been with one for longer than a few hours!  Now I can brush her coat, teeth, clean her ears and trim her nails.  Big changes, but all very good. 
After we got home, Barb headed home and Ro is now taking a well deserved nap.  I think tonight we will practice a bit of retrieve and then working on legs.  I know my legs could also use a good stretch and the more we practice the better we'll get!  Also, here is a picture of Ro with Brobee!

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Shannon. GO RO! With the thousands of things I did with Ruby, the one place I always meant to take her was the bowling alley, but we just never made it there! Glad you girls had fun together.

    ReplyDelete