Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ro's first field trip

I am so excited that Ro gets to join me and my classes on field trips!  We had our first one together on Friday to the Botanic Gardens.  Because I teach a unit about plants, it is the perfect place to kick start our learning and get the kids thinking about how and where plants grow.  I have a paraprofessional that works in my room for a few hours each day, so she helped me load on the bus and walked Ro on.  Ro had plenty of room to settle down on the floor for our 20 minute ride and she did fabulous! 
Once we got there we separated into our group and began to explore the gardens.  It was a BEAUTIFUL day! The sun was out, but it wasn't super hot so it made it really nice.  I wish I could post more pictures of our day out, but because there are students in the rest of the photos I can't.  :(  We practiced Ro's 'leave' cue by having students drop food near her and she did an excellent job of not eating it.  Ro even did some observations of the plants...
It's a bit blurry because I had to crop the kiddos out, but you can still see how cute she is!  

I also was carrying a water bottle and it kept falling, so she ended up practicing picking things up a lot as well. It was a lot of fun for me being able to spend the day with my students and have Ro along with us.  I knew it was going to be a great bonus having a service dog-but it truly was a dream come true!

1 comment: